Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Introduction

COVID-19 has changed our world for years to come. We are witnessing unprecedented disruption in our lives - countries lock down; business closures and suspension of personal liberties. Governments across the world have issued regulations to mitigate the disruption. Employees are very vulnerable during this situation.  Governments are trying to minimize the loss for employees - advising employers not to terminate employees during this outbreak; covid related leaves introduced ; relaxation of leave rules and similar initiatives. This blog highlights some of the initiatives taken by the various countries to safeguard employees' interest. The view expressed here are of the author and the reader is advised to consult a local legal practitioner for country specific legal nuances.

5 comments:

  1. Sir, I was on notice period at the time of lockdown which will end at 14 april2020 , now I get to know that they cut short my notice period without having any conversation with me . Now today I asked to hr over phone why did you cut my salary then she saying you was relieved at 31 March 2020 it is shocking to me ? I ask how then mailed me that our year close in March so whoever regined would have serve till 31 March . S

    So what options do I have in my case ??please help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nitesh - You send a notice to your HR stating that your notice period, as per the employment letter, is 14 April, 2020. They have wrongfully withhold 14 days salary which is legally due you. If they do not respond to your notice, consult a lawyer to initiate legal action to recover your dues and costs/expenses that you will bear to recover your dues.

      Delete
  2. Sir, Thanks for the insights. What if IT companies are asking employees to resign or leave job? They may not even announce that it is due to COVID19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be illegal for these companies to force employees to resign even if it is not due to COVID.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Lockdown extends until 18-May - What it means for employees

The lockdown has been extended for two more weeks from 4 May onwards. Ministry of Home Affairs , while extending the lockdown, has prescrib...